Saturday, October 6, 2012

[PC] Cheap and easy cloud mirroring.

There's a lot of great reasons to use Cloud storage like SkyDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. I love that I can work on files between my smartphone, laptop, and desktop. But, sometimes I wonder, "How do I back this up?"

Thanks to a quick internet search, I've got a simple way to mirror some of those files!
First off, I need two Cloud storage services. Since "cheap" is the key work here, I'm going with a free account. Many of them will give you at least 2g free, some up to 7g. So, I've got my primary Cloud storage (my daily, as it were), and now I've got a secondary one that will simply hold copies of the data.

The second account will get its own folder that it'll watch and keep synced. To do this easily, I downloaded Microsoft's SyncToy. Its free, and will copy items from one folder to another (actually, it'll do more, but that's all I want). After installation, I set up SyncToy to watch the folders I wanted copied, and give it an initial run.

Third step is setting up Windows Task Scheduler. I guess SyncToy won't do things automatically, so I followed these instructions to set up a schedule for it. I want it to run at startup, and schedule it accordingly.

Now, when I turn on my computer? It'll sync with my first service, but it'll also sync the two folders, so then the second service will copy the new/changed files.

Easy (and as cheap) as that!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. https://thegameroof.com/where-can-you-get-cheap-boost-in-wow-shadowlands

    ReplyDelete