Saturday, June 12, 2010

Inspiring to give.

In the past decade or so I’ve come to feel that the government gets involved with the needs of society, not because its the best option, but because of a failure of the citizens to tend to themselves. When there’s need in a community, a community is best served by trying to meet that need. No, it won’t always be up to the full scope of the task, but the first reaction should be, “what can we do” rather than “someone ought to do something.”

I’ve just started reading Philanthrocapitalism: How Giving Can Save the World.My brother is letting me borrow it and so far I’m about three chapters in. Its rather interesting to read about what the super-rich are doing these days, true, but its also giving a bit of history concerning philanthropy in general.

I think its coming at a good time in my life. Back in September I took Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University course at a local church. One of the lessons is expressly about giving. I know for myself there’s always been a desire to give; there is no shortage of need or causes to be certain. Getting my own personal finances in order is a well needed step to be able to give the way I want to in the future. Not there yet (still paying off debt), but its good to have a goal.

If anything, though, Philanthrocapitalism is helping get me excited about the idea. When I’m done with it I want to read Andrew Carnegie’s Gospel of Wealth. I’m hoping I’ll find other books on the matter as I read on! I don’t know if I’ll ever be one of the rich people of the world, nevermind one of the super-rich, but I do want to do my share of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment