Sunday, June 20, 2010

Home feels like home.

Over the past few months I’ve been sort of settling into things. If anything, I guess its almost like I’m settling into this phase of my life…

I’m settling into a more mature, responsible way of handling my money compared to my twenties, thank you Dave Ramsey. I’m still not there yet, but I’ve got a plan, goals and know where everything goes now.

I’m starting to settle into my age and some of the expectations that go with it for appearance. I’ve already gone through two rounds of thinning out my wardrobe of clothes I had gotten in my twenties. Stuff that was less professional, stuff that I wouldn’t wear here in Hawai’i, stuff like that. At the same time I’ve already done one round of getting new clothes that are more appropriate for work and I think better reflect where I am in life.

Following that line of thought, I’ve been going through all the stuff I’ve picked up over the years. Old books, movies, VHS tapes, junk mail that I promised I’d sort later and more. Things are getting thrown away, shredded, donated or having new homes found for them. For a guy who was born a packrat in a family of packrats, I have to say I’m a bit proud of this.

On top of that I’m actually looking at, here and there, furniture. Trying to think of a consistent look for everything instead of, “well, my friend gave me this,” “I got that on sale,” etc. Form is becoming about as important as function when I consider what I want to buy. This is a pretty big leap for me!

So, yeah… its taken about five years, but I finally feel like I’m settling in. That I’m home instead of just living somewhere. It feels good!

2 comments:

  1. You just made me realize growing up CAN be fun! Good job Sam! As a fellow pack ratter, YAY for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are some things that are definitely adult pleasures - things that kids wouldn't understand, or don't have the patience for. Well, maybe "adult" is the wrong word... mature?

    ReplyDelete